Monday 27 February 2017

Half marathon PB

Yesterday was my second attempt at the Brighton Half Marathon.

Last year managed to complete the course in 2 hours 22 and 30 seconds.

Weather was grey and windy so knew it wasn't going to be easy to do better this year.

For the first 7 miles was chatting to a woman who was running her first half. Chatting to her about the course and training soon helped cover the miles.

Mile 2 to 4 was up hill but did have some flat sections. A steel band lightened the spirit before turning back into the drizzle and wind and back towards Brighton.

Had to endure the windy conditions for 6 miles.

At mile 8 not enough water led to a slight bad head and dehydration. Pace slowed and was looking forward to mile 10 for the last water stop before the finish.

Was glad of the wind behind me as Brighton pier in distance seemed ages away.

Predicted finishing time on my watch was 2 minutes slower than last year.

Last year the addreline kicked in at mile 12 and the encouragement of the crowd led to my fastest mile of the run.

This year my legs weren't feeling it. Actual time was getting close to last year's so managed to find the energy and mental will power to sprint close to the finishing line.

I knew I was close to the 2 hours 22 minutes mark but didn't know if I had set a PB.

Glad for the lucozade and food to refuel slowly made my way to the baggage area.

Phone in hand and text received. Double checked the message and I had shaved 7 seconds off by the final sprint.

I now had a PB of 2 hours 22 minutes and 17 seconds.

Will I be running next year?

Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment